Who do Speech-Language Pathologists work with?

Children – who have:

physical disabilities
delayed onset or development of language / communication
development language disorders
difficulties in producing sounds
motor speech disorders
hearing impairment / cochlear implant
cleft palate
stuttering / dysfluency
autism spectrum disorders /social interaction difficulties
dyslexia / mild, moderate or severe learning difficulties
voice problems

Education and Certification

Professional training in speech-language pathology or audiology is available at the master's level at nine Canadian universities and many universities in the U.S. Three of the nine programs are taught in French. There are also undergraduate studies required to enter at the master's level, including courses in psychology, physiology, linguistics, education, human sciences, and health sciences. Specific requirements vary with university programs. Canadian programs meet provincial licensure and SAC certification requirements. Students enrolling in a U.S. program should ensure that their program meets licensure and certification requirements if they want to work in Canada.



May is Speech and Hearing Month
Read full article >


What do Speech-Language Pathologists do?

Speech-Language Pathologists are specialists in communication and swallowing disorders. More >

Who do SLPs work with?

Babies, children and adults with neurological or physical disabilities. More >

What do Audiologists do?

Audiologists are specialists trained at the Masters level to provide service in identifying and treating hearing loss and balance disorders. More >